Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Day of Family

One of the nice things about where we live is that we are less than 30 minutes away from Eliot's parents and my dad and Maria, an hour away from my grandparents, and about two hours away from any of our other California family (bay area, Chico, etc.). And while he is not yet aware of how special it is, Ty gets to see four of his six grandparents regularly, as well as his three great grandparents and lots of great aunts and uncles!

Today we went to my grandparents' house in Stockton and visited with them, as well as my aunt Frieda. Then we went to my great grandpa's house with my dad and Maria and visited for a bit. I hadn't seen my great grandpa in at least 10 years so it was a special day for all of us! From there we went to Lodi to see my uncle Pete and aunt Lynette. So today Ty saw his parents, grandparents, great aunts and uncle, great grandparents, and great great grandpa...pretty impressive!!

With Great Grandma Honey

All smiles!


Ty with Grandpa and Great Great Grandpa

Grandpa "Grover"
I grew up very close to my grandparents and aunts, uncles, and cousins, so family is very important to me! It's important to me to call my grandparents each week and enjoy the time we have with them. It's my hope that as he gets older Ty grows to appreciate and enjoy family. I was not ever close to my great grandfather, but I remember visiting him and how I have always called him "Grandpa Grover" (no idea why...his name is Gilbert). I loved our visit with him today and enjoyed hearing him talk about where he is from in the Philippines and his experiences when he came to the US in 1929 at the age of 14. He said he worked for "10 cents an hour, a dollar a day!" leveling the ground. He went into the Army in 1943 and served for two years in the Philippines. He spoke very clearly about his love of the New England Patriots and said he was waiting to watch them at 5pm :) He takes a blood pressure medication and a daily vitamin...my dad said he takes more medicine than that and Grandpa Grover's response was, "No bullsh*tting?" When we asked how you can live to be 97, he said, "Take that!" and pointed to his vitamin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment